This is a bit of a cheat.
I saw that the latest Journal52 prompt was Perspective. I’ve been wanting to do a winery landscape just for the purpose of practicing perspective (not one of my strong suits). So in my 10 day watercolor journal, I chose to fullfill both purposes by painting this picture.
I used Quiller watercolors – Cadmium Yellow Light, Permanent Green, Phthalocyanine Green, Ultramarine Violet,Permanent Orange and Magenta. M. Graham The journal is filled with Strathmore 500 series Aquarius II watercolor paper. I used Silver Black Velvet brushes — 1 inch flat, 3/4 cat’s eye and no. 6 round.
I was trying to stick with paintings that I could do in half an hour or so, but I’m finding that it is hard to do. I love Ultramarine Violet for shadows, but it is a weak color, and requires several glazes to get proper values. And every time I do a glaze (a wash of color over color(s) that have dried) I see something that needs a little fixing. *sigh* This painting, in particular, really did need fussing because of the complex perspective. The sun is coming in from the back at an angle and the rows are sloping down to the back and to one side. It took me a while to get it even close to right.
The reference photo was one I found at Morguefile.com
I started fall watercolor class with the wonderful teacher Kathy Delumpa Allegri. We started off with Negative painting where you paint the spaces between objects, rather than painting the objects themselves.
The first painting we did was monochromatic – one color used in layers to build up to darker values. I used Daniel Smith Quinacridone Burnt Orange for mine.
The challenge for the second was to use two colors. I didn’t like the way my Daniel Smith Hansa Yellow Lt and Quinacridone Rose mixed together, so I decided to add a third color (I have done this kind of painting before, so I already had some idea of how to do it), and chose Phthalocyanine Green.
After I had done lots of spaces between, I decided to add shadows, and use the Green over ALL the colors. I think if I sat high in a tree and watched a tiger stroll below, it would look something like this.
Day 6 in my 10-day watercolor a day journal. I decided to try something different. This painting was NOT done in 1/2 an hour. More like two hours.
My husband loves it when I do paintings of critturs, so I decided to do an owl. And I ended up fussing with it. Ah well.
This was painted with a limited palette — Quiller Permanent Orange and Ultramarine Blue, Qor Quinacridone Gold and Winsor & Newton Raw Sienna. Orange and Blue mixed together give you a range of umbers, so most of the bird was painted with those two colors. I just used different concentrations of each to get varying tones.
Day 5 in my 10-day watercolor a day journal.
My scanner insisted on picking up the Quinacridone Magenta even though the Ultramarine Violet in the shadows is more prominent in the real painting. Like I said in an earlier post –magentas are powerful colors. Even the spirits of the scanner machines bows down to it!