I was trying really hard to stay loose with this painting, but as usual I couldn’t resist playing around with it, mostly because I didn’t like the tree limb. I think I got the effect of a photo where the camera isn’t held perfectly still, lol.
That said, I’m not unhappy. I was combining reference photos again, which means I have ‘see’ how things go together, in my head. I give myself a bit more leeway in these cases, considering it practice and waiting patiently for practice to make nearer to perfect.
The biggest disappointment? After I painted this, I realized I was holding my journal upside-down. *sigh* I swear I have at least one upside-down piece in every single journal I’ve done.
Once again I used the palette based off of the palette that‘Domenic DiStefano used in Painting Dynamic Watercolors’, adding Qor Quinacridone Gold to the mix. This has proved to be a nice palette for animal and nature paintings. The other paints used for my mixes were M. Graham: Anthraquinone Blue; Daniel Smith: Hansa Yellow Light; Qor: French Cerulean Blue, Naples Yellow, Sap Green, Burnt Sienna, Permanent Alizarin Crimson.
The brushes used were my Silver Black Velvets Script Liner Size 1, and Round size 16. I did my color lifting with a Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin 5880 Size 10, I’ve found the stiffer bristles in this brush do a better job of removing color, though it also damages the paper a bit more.
This bird was done in the Global Art Materials Field Watercolor Artist Journal Hand Book, 7 by 10-Inch that I’m using for the ’52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds’.
I used a combination of reference photos that I found at the the Morguefile archive.