Note: If you want to skip the philosophical stuff and just see how I made this page, skip until you’re past the photo down below.
I’ve had problems with my internet lately, and, at first, I thought “oh well. Extra time for arts and crafting!” However, it’s that time of year.
The days are getting shorter. And grayer. And wet. My sleep patterns are disrupted. I’m dreading the end of daylight savings because I know it will be worse. And as often happens during this season, my creative energies have wandered off. I must push myself to create, and I’m seldom happy with what I come up with.
Sound familiar? I think it happens to many, if not all of us. And knowing it’s coming, recognizing it and finding ways to deal with the seasonal funk is something we all need to do.
I’ll give myself 2 or 3 days off, but then I create whether I want to or not. Put simply, I find it’s the best way to get out of the funk. I do lots of practice work and quick studies, and each time I tell myself firmly that what I’m doing doesn’t count. I may come back later and make judgments on what I do, but I do not do so now.
Another thing I don’t do at this time is experiment (unless the idea really excites me–that means the funk is lifting). It’s an added layer of something I don’t want to do, and I’m too likely to abandon something that actually has promise. So when I saw this week’s prompt I was a little stumped.
Then I remembered–with art journaling you are free to interpret the prompt in any way you want. I decided to play with someone else’s experiment while using an experiment of my own.
My recent project for the Amazing Mold Putty design team was to build a mummy prototype from bits and pieces that I had in my craft stash, and then cast it in resin. (You can find this how-to at the Amazing Mold Putty blog.) I experimented heavily in the making, plus raising a mummy is a popular experiment in old horror movies. So I deciced to use this mummy as the experiment for my journal page.
To get my journal page, I:
- printed out one of the photos I’d taken
- cut out the mummy
- colored the journal page with Montana Markers
- tore holes at random in a sheet of Clearprint Vellum paper
- pasted the photo into my page with gel medium and let dry
- glued down the vellum sheet with the gel medium and let dry
- outlined the mummy and his wrappings with a Pigma Micron pen
- colored with the purple Gellyroll pens, smearing with my finger to add shadows and help blend the torn areas
- colored with the white Gellyroll pen to add highlights and ragged ends of the wrappings flapping in the mist
photo of my cast-resin mummy
art journal page (watercolor paper)
Clearprint vellum sheet same size as journal page
Montana Acrylic Paint Markers-Shock Blue Dark, Shock Kent Blood Red, Shock Orange
Sakura Gellyroll Pens- Metallic Purple, Stardust Purple-star, Classic White
Sakura Pigma Micron pen, black, .05