The Giveaway is closed! But please continue reading for today’s how-to!
I started off with journal page and my last project is another one. While I was cutting out the Decopatch hands for yesterday’s project, the idea for this page occurred to me, and I jumped on it.
Or my horses did anyway!
You’ll notice lots of wrinkles on this page. Why? Because sometimes you want them! It doesn’t show well in the photo, but there’s lots of dimension on the page to give it the look of a rock wall. The wrinkles are actually streaks in the paste. The Decopatch paper faithfully followed along and lay flat to the lumps and bumps to show the detail.
Besides the Decopatch paper and Paperpatch glue I used scissors, Pigma Micron .08, light modeling paste, a palette knife, shocking pink acrylic paint, a green pigment re-inker (a refill bottle for an inkpad), and a baby wipe.
I decided to use a spread in my Clairefontaine Japon art journal. This is paper meant for calligraphy, and it’s thin, but so sturdy! I knew it would hold up to the weight of the Decopatch paper, the glue and molding paste. I did use light molding paste though, so it would be lighter.
There was show-through from a drawing on one side, but I knew it would be mostly covered up, and anything that was left would just add to the rough texture.
I wanted to start with a color base similar to my Decopatch paper, so I used a Montana marker filled with a shocking pink acrylic paint. Shocking pink isn’t very prehistoric, but again–most of it would be covered. And whose to say these cave walls didn’t have gemstone in them, anyway?
I drew three very simple horses. I wanted them to be reminiscent of cave drawings.
Then I cut them out, being careful to keep the sections they were cut from whole as well. I set the pieces aside, and tore the rest of the paper into strips. I was down to the last of my Decopatch, so I went ahead and just tore the whole of it. I kept the pieces fairly small, in irregular shapes.
I slathered on the light molding paste with a palette knife, making it thick in some areas, thin in others, and leaving some areas uncovered. Then I set the journal aside to dry overnight.
Most inkpad re-inkers have droppers in the lids, so it was very easy to squeeze some of the ink at the top of the page and let run. If you look close at this shot, you can see how thick the modeling paste is in some areas.
I used a baby wipe to spread the ink around, working quickly because the ink dries pretty quickly.
I glued the rest of the Decopatch strips down, except for the horses and cut-out sections of the horses. I didn’t worry so much about the flow of color as I have with my other projects, but I tried to make sure I placed darker strips where I would put the cut-outs and light where I would put the horses.
Then I glued the sections where I had cut out the horses on one side of the journal, and glued the horses on the other side. (sorry. Blogger insisted on showing this with up down orientation instead of side by side)
I lined up the cut-out with it’s horse to make it look as though the horses had just popped out the walls, and were bounding away. I figured if cavemen hoped that wishes were horses, they would wish horses would pop out of their paintings!
For the finish I wrote my title at the top ‘If Wishes Were Horses in Prehistoric Times”.
This is the last of my Decopatch projects and I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing them as much as I enjoyed doing them. Please be sure to enter the giveaway I’m hosting, if you haven’t already. The three winners will be chosen on Monday.
Thank you to Exaclair for letting me try out their products and share them with all of you!